Saturday, September 5, 2009

One man's junk...is still junk.

We've all heard the saying, "One's man's junk is another man's treasure." That's cute and all, but seriously. Some lines need to be drawn.

I ran some errands this morning, and upon returning home I noticed the neighbor 3 houses down was having a garage sale.

Now I'll admit to a garage sale addiction. There's just something beckoning about those Sharpie-marked neon signs that draw me in. I'm not typically looking for anything in particular. I just love garage sales, yard sales, rummage sales - whatever word you slap on it doesn't matter.

I'm drawn.

Not sure if it is the quest for that one seraphic item that has eluded me for years, or just the sick joy that comes with permission to rummage through other people's stuff.

But my neighbor's garage sale was peculiar, to say the least. There were no signs directing you to the sale. In fact, when I saw it, I wasn't sure if he was having a yard sale or just pulling items out of his garage in the midst of some Fall cleaning. But upon further inspection, it was the former.

So of course I meandered over.

Now I can appreciate a small garage sale. Not everyone has clutter up to their eyeballs enabling them to cover their entire driveway. But this was obviously a case of, "Hmm. It's Saturday. Maybe I'll put a few tables of my junk out and see if anyone driving by wants to buy something."

Because truly, most of it should have skipped the table and bounded straight for the garbage bin.

Okay, okay...to be fair, he did have a couple bookcases and a very ugly coffee table showcased as well. But garage sales may need to be governed a bit to set some boundaries.

Please tell me, is anyone interested in a pint jar glued to a plate? I suspect it had a purpose. Just not sure what. And if you're in the market for a broken ceramic pig, I know where to direct you.

Come on, people. Find the garbage can. Perhaps that is his plan....after he attempts to transfer his own clutter to contribute to yours for a small profit.

Or who knows. Maybe he really was just doing some Fall cleaning and some people started stopping by to shop. He realized this could be a magical moment and gave in to the assumption. That would explain the lack of signs, after all.

Garage sales truly are the great equalizer, though. As I was "shopping," a rather affluent-looking couple was peering through an old magazine that was for sale. (Again...was its intended resting place the garbage bin, but these people snatched it up before the guy could get to it?)

At any rate, I quickly headed for home to clean up from what felt like dumpster diving. And then I chuckled as I walked by my children's Little Tykes picnic table and basketball hoop (recent garage sale finds), took my shoes off by our entry's shoe bench (FREE from a yard sale 4 years ago) and took a seat at my kitchen table (auction sale steal - 16 years ago) for a bite to eat. (Don't worry, the turkey sandwich was fresh.)

Hey, I'm renting. So my current decorating style is Garage Sale Chic. And let's face it. When we do find a house to buy, I'll be having a garage sale.

With my own neon signs.

And I'll bet you'll be there...wondering why I didn't just throw that ridiculous thing out!

No comments:

Post a Comment